Castle Goring is a magnificent and unique 18th century building regarded as one of the most important houses architecturally in the country. It was the first house ever built with a dual façade, Greco-Roman on the South side and Castellated Gothic on the North. Castle Goring is Grade I Listed and is located within the South Downs National Park with easy access via the A27 from Worthing, Brighton even London which is an hour and a half away.
The famous architect John Biagio-Rebecca, who was renowned in the Sussex area was the original architect. The South Palladian (Greco-Roman) aspect is yellow brick and is thought to be a copy of the famous Villa Lante near Rome. The Gothic aspect is constructed of flint and sandstone, and it was designed to replicate Arundel Castle which lies approximately 5 miles to the west.
Castle Goring has an intriguing history and is understood to be the only large house in Sussex built by the Shelley family. Sir Bysshe Shelley, grandfather of the great Romantic poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, commissioned the property. Construction began in the 1790s and continued for a period of 15 years or more. The intention was that the property would be lived in by Percy Shelley, however, following his tragic death from drowning aged 29, this never materialised.
In 1825, the building was let to Captain (later Vice Admiral) Sir George Brooke-Pechell, fourth Baronet of Paglesham, and Lord of the Manor of Angmering, who was also the MP for Brighton from 1835-1860.
In 1835, Mary Shelley, who remains famous to this day as the authoress of Frankenstein, sold the property, which she inherited from her late husband Percy Shelley, to Brooke-Pechell. Brooke-Pechell's daughter, Adelaide married Sir Alfred F C Somerset. He was Deputy Lieutenant and Justice of the Peace for Middlesex. Their daughter Gwendoline married her cousin Arthur Fitzroy Somerset, the famous cricketer who held the same offices for Sussex.
The property was occupied by the Somerset family until it was requisitioned during the Second World War for use by the Canadian Army. After the war, the castle was let out to be used as a language school, as well as associated residential and business purposes. The property remained in the Somerset family until sold to the famous authoress, socialite and television personality Lady Colin Campbell in 2014.